Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Exotics

Porches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Aston Martin should be cars that I drool over and pose by. Instead I find them incredibly overrated as a car. As art they are beautiful. However, most car enthusiasts say they are the best of all the cars that are made. They call them supercars and have shows all about them. Let's get back to reality though. Are they really that great?

The engine in an Aston Martin Vanquish is a whopper V12. I have seen a photo and the first thing I think is that would be a bitch to work on. You have zero room! You would be cussing just changing fluids in it. The argument for this is that if you had enough money to get an Aston, then you would have enough money to take it to the shop each time and get it fixed. Where is the fun in that though? Isn't that part of loving cars? Actually being able to work on them?

Another problem I see is the in HP for each car. Some are impressive and others just have my eye twitching. Lets take the Vanquish's V12 and compare it to the Shelby GT500's 5.4 L supercharged V8. I know it is supercharged but I think it is fair. The Vanquish has 450bhp which honestly isn't that great. The Shelby puts out 550hp. Shouldn't the Aston be kicking the Mustang's ass seeing as it has a bigger engine? This is my evidence that bigger engines don't mean bigger power. I honestly don't know why they put V12s in cars when the turboed or supercharged V8s do just fine.When people hear V12 they think it will be fast. It isn't really true.

Another thing I don't like about exotics are the drivers. They expect to be respected in the car world because they have a fast car. I personally do not respect any car lover that doesn't work on their car. I do not respect a car lover that gets his or her car fast from the factory. Cars don't impress me that are like that. People who get a piddly stock car that puts out a measly 100hp and turns it into something amazing gets all my respect. That is what I think loving cars is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment